Thursday, July 4, 2013

Not so 4th of July

I love the 4th of July, it is one of my favorite holidays.  I love the warm summer weather, I LOVE fireworks.  Since I was a kid I always remember staying up late watching fireworks and having a great day being totally exhausted at bedtime.

Obviously in Singapore they do not celebrate the 4th of July, however the Americans in our community do recognize the holiday and are given the day off.  So what to do with a day off that is typically a huge celebration for Americans.

Well we started our day off viewing a car to possibly buy, discussed it and decided to go ahead and take this vehicle.  It will not be in our hands for another month, which is hard to accept.  Knowing you will still be walking around for month, but have a car coming is a bummer.

Fred had been wanting to show us the Singapore history museum.  So what better day to go than on your own county's celebration of their independence.  Why not learn about another county's independence.

We ended up noticing a Popey's chicken restaurant near the museum, so decided to treat ourselves to a very American chicken and biscuits meal.  (Side note I noticed on an older entry that I'd comment if the fast food tastes the same. The chicken here was juicier, the breasts were cut in half , and the biscuits were less buttery and dryer- but overall delicious!)

Not wanting to just go home and have this big celebration day end with tv and sitting home in the evening (that wouldn't fit the bill for my concept of the 4th of July) I found us a showing of Man of Steel that started in an hour.   Off to the theater, we watched a very American movie with lots of loud noises and violence much like fireworks- almost as good as the real thing.

On our walk back to our home we did pass by a house with a few kids outside holding sparklers, I guess there are other families out here who love it enough to find a way to make it a celebration.

Happy 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment