Monday, July 8, 2013

Florida or Singapore

For the last two weeks we have been living in a temporary furnished apartment.  It has all the basic amenities you would need.  It feels like we have been on a two week vacation and with the heat and palm trees around we've decided it's like Florida.  

We have a timeshare in Florida so we went there often, sometimes we visited during the hot, rainy afternoon summer heat- this is what Singapore is like (year round).  While in Florida we go to the pool often, we have been doing that here too.  We stay up late and sleep in, all of us but Fred, who is not on summer vacation, are sleeping in late.  In Florida, we generally hit the amusement parks, we are not doing that, although there is a Universal Studios in Singapore, but we haven't been yet.   I guess our periodic outings to various places in Singapore to explore are like amusement parks- we definitely return exhausted.

So what's the difference?  If you don't pay attention to all the Asians, Indians, and Maylay people around you and think you just love Asian food so much it's all I want to eat you might be able to fool yourself into thinking I'm just in Florida.  I am very good at ignoring my surroundings and I actually like Asian food, so this really is doable for me.

When will reality settle in?   When our furniture arrives and we have a new home with our own stuff but not in Vienna?  When I'm driving a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side and I'm on the wrong lane directions?   When school starts and we begin a routine without our Vienna family and friends?   I'm sure it will hit us that we are actually living somewhere else and it's not Vienna or even Florida.

But for now I'll enjoy my altered vacation reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment