Friday, January 24, 2014

I need a big wallet

Living in Singapore requires me to carry around Singapore money but I also still carry some US money.  We can use US money at our Navy Exchange and our pool club.  We have a Navy Federal Credit Union right next to the NEX where we can get our US cash then 25 feet away is a currency change booth so we can easily convert it to Singapore money.  I joke with the woman working at the currency converter that without her our bank wouldn't have US money.  She just gives it back to NFCU at the end of the day.

Over the holidays we did a fair amount of traveling.  We took a cruise that stopped in Malaysia and Thailand and then went to Tokyo, Japan for a week.  I was doing a bunch of currency converting to prepare for these trips and had so much different money it was amusing and confusing.


For our cruise the girls had some Malaysian and Thai money and they were constantly asking is this the right type of dollar? The currencies for many of the other countries are colorful which is fun but in reality it would make it easier if each country had their own color.

On a regular basis I have at least two types of currency on me, but 3-4 different ones at the same time required some organization.  I ended up buying myself a large wallet with 3 different separators to keep each currency in it's own spot.  Those of you who saw me on a daily basis walking around Vienna knew I often didn't even carry a purse, just a wristlet that kept my phone, an id, a credit card, and $20. This was a huge change to buy a big wallet, luckily I had already switched to carrying around a big purse to fit my umbrella and napkins (2 essential items to have in Singapore).

It's been a neat experience seeing the different types of currency and learning about the exchange rates. I found an app that easily does the currency conversion so I alway know what it would be in US dollars.  It's strange to have a $1000 or even $10,000 bill on you but that might only be worth $10US. This is just one new experience that has made us all a little bit more worldly.


No comments:

Post a Comment