Thursday, September 26, 2013

Singapore Food Stores

In the US we have plenty of Asian food stores so I thought this is what I should expect in Asia.  Not exactly (this seems to be the same for restaurants too- I'll write about that another time).  The first thing you notice is that the food stores here smell, like they do in the US, but it's a completely different smell.  There is a fruit local to SE Asia called Durian, and many people here LOVE it, but it smells and tastes horrible.  Well actually I don't know if it tastes horrible, however Fred tried it flavored in a cream puff and his breath was so bad there is no way I would try it.

I had to pull this wikipedia write up on the Durian so that you could get a good feel for the smell.

The edible flesh emits a distinctive odor that is strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact.  Some people regard the durian as pleasantly fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and revolting.  The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage.  The persistence of ti's odor has let to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.  

Even though this fruit is banished many places, people here eat it so the food stores sell it, and thus SMELL like it.  ROTTEN ONIONS AND DIRTY SWEAT SOCKS is how I describe it.

I should amend my claim to not include ALL Singapore food stores smell like it.  If you are in a touristy, or nice area of town, those stores don't sell it and just smell like fish (a much more pleasant smell).


Here is what Durian looks like packages (I really wish I could attach the smell for your enjoyment) :) 

The other thing that was really strange for me when I first went food shopping is the shopping carts are all attached.  I was informed that if you put a $1(coin) in the slot it will release the cart and then when you return it to a designated return area and attach it to another cart your coin will come back out.




What a brilliant thing to do.  This would eliminate all those random carts scattered throughout parking lots in the US.  

I also learned while checking out that in the produce section there is a woman working with a scale and SHE will weigh your produce and tag it with a bar code.  The cash register has no scales.  Thus the first time I went I was the person who held up a line as I ran back to get stuff weighed.  I'm sure I got the why are those dumb Americans here stares.

Finally, if you find something in a food store you might want at a later date, you better just buy it now.  The stores don't always carry the same things.  Fred enjoys spinach on his sandwiches, but it's not always there or sometimes it baby spinach (which is a pain on sandwiches).  I guess this comes from Singapore having to import so many items that they only can sell what they get delivered. 

Food shopping in town has been an interesting experience.  Occasionally, I'll buy a local snack or cookie to give it a try (US goods are really expensive in town), sometimes they are a hit, other times they end up in the trash.  We are really lucky to have a Navy Exchange that sells most basic food products but I now regularly hit the local stores once a week for fruits, veggies, and some other stuff to try out.


No comments:

Post a Comment